We’re looking for a great
(Senior) Program Associate.
Could you be the one?
Application Deadline: June 15th, 2018
Regions Refocus, an initiative working on progressive and feminist policy at the regional level, is seeking a full-time Program Associate or Senior Program Associate, to start in summer 2018 at our New York office.
As (Senior) Program Associate, you will join a small, dynamic team based in New York that works with autonomous regional civil society networks and intergovernmental institutions, including the United Nations, globally. The work is varied and quickly-moving, and will include the following elements:
- 1. Program
- Facilitate delivery of Regions Refocus workshops (3-4 per year) and longer-term programs as appropriate: working closely with regional allies, develop ideas, write concept notes, agendas, rationale, and objectives. Ongoing initiatives include: strengthening heterodox and feminist trade policy in Africa and the Caribbean, building solidarities for climate and economic sovereignty in the Caribbean and Pacific, and amplifying regional policy proposals in global fora such as the UN High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF).
- Coordinate all elements of workshops, developing effective and respectful ways of working with allies and participants; oversee logistics (birds’ eye view on venues, hotels, vendors, printing, etc.) and step in where necessary.
- Plan and execute follow-up of workshops and other projects: write and/or edit summary reports, ensuring participatory process with allies as relevant; keep track of RR actions and promises.
- Contribute to institutional strategic planning, including program conceptualization.
- 2. Policy
- Plan, oversee, and carry out Regions Refocus’s engagement in the United Nations (2030 Agenda and related processes, Commission on the Status of Women, UN Regional Commissions) and our work with regional intergovernmental institutions (African Union, Association of Southeast Asian Nations, Pacific Community, etc.), often in partnership with other organizations/institutions and/or governments.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant allies (autonomous regiona civil society, UN and regional institutions’ staff, Major Groups and other Stakeholders/civil society active at global and regional levels).
- Track and keep up to date with global and regional policy landscapes, both explicitly and tangentially relevant to RR’s work, through attending events, following discussions on social media and e-lists, and in-person conversations with allies.
- BA or MA in relevant field (development economics, women’s studies, international political economy, etc.).
- At least 3-4 years’ experience working in policy and/or program at a non-profit. Global South experience preferred.
- Familiarity with intergovernmental institutions (United Nations, development bank, regional institutions) and policy/advocacy engagement.
- Eloquent and clear verbal and written communication in English. Professional level Arabic, French, and/or Spanish preferred.
- Strong attention to detail, as you’ll be balancing simultaneous projects with a range of focus areas and regions.
- Dedication and ability to learn quickly and adapt to shifting circumstances.
- Friendly demeanor, high degree of comfort in progressive, feminist,
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Regions Refocus.
This position is open to a wide variety of experience levels and backgrounds. However, the ideal candidate will possess some, if not all, of the following:
Regions Refocus was set up, in 2014, to facilitate inclusive policy processes that strengthen working relations between civil society and policymakers, to strategically position heterodox and feminist policies and cement regional solidarities for structural justice. With these aims in mind, Regions Refocus amplifies perspectives and policy proposals insufficiently addressed in global policy arenas and development frameworks. Using a creative and non-traditional approach, Regions Refocus builds co-responsibility, fostering alliance-building towards transformative partnerships that strengthen regional positioning in global political, economic, and trade systems. A feminist and progressive initiative, Regions Refocus centers on bridging gaps between women’s organizations and other progressive groups, working together to chart progressive courses for policy and for the strengthening of movements.
Please email email@example.com by Friday June 15, 2018 with your resume and a brief cover letter detailing your relevant qualifications and why you’d like to work with Regions Refocus.
We will interview at both Program Associate and Senior Program Associate levels, with the eventual offer (title and salary) commensurate with experience of the chosen candidate.
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this role – valid and up-to-date authorization to work in the United States is required.